October 23, 2008

WOLFSKIN

I read this at the weekend. It's a three-part limited series about this lone warrior/barbarian dude who's been banished from his homeland for doing something bad (I can't remember what), I'm guessing a crime he probably didn't commit. And he's pissed about it. He has these magical black mushrooms and when he eats them he trips out and goes into a blind, froth-mouthed rage and destroys everything around him. This is fucking awesome, one of the best comics I've read in a while.The writing is actually great, packed with amusing, vaguely Nordic slang and phrases, and the story is really solid and entertaining. There's a definite influence from old Sword & Sorcery novels and movies present.
However, the main strength of this comic is the art: it's insane. Juan Jose Ryp (Black Summer) does a fantastic job of drawing ridiculously gory and detailed fight scenes, replete with necks getting snapped and intestines being brutally torn asunder. I can't wait to read the Wolfskin annual when I get home. Apparently another limited series of Wolfskin is slated to be made soon, so I can't wait for that. Definitely check this shit out. Just in case I haven't convinced you to read this already, here is a typical page from the comic.
Warren Ellis (Planetary,Transmetropolitan) is the writer and he's doing another limited series with Ryp at the moment called No Hero, which judging from its cover art alone looks mental. I'm definitely going to buy the paperback when it comes out. I mean come on, look at this shit.
Radical.

Lately I've been jamming lots of old death metal bands like Necrovore, God Macabre, Morgoth, Brutality, Gorement, Wombbath, Sadistic Intent and so on. I've slept on The Wire for way too long, it's fucking great.

One.

3 comments:

JG said...

a comprehensive list of old Death Metal you should try and seek out:

Putrifact
Nirvana 2002
Crematory(Swe)
Imprecation
Demilich
Demigod
Necrotomy
Obtruncation (swe)
Grotesque Infection
Macrodex/House of Usher
Necrotion
Magus
Derketa/Mythic
early Sentenced
Traumatic (swe)
I could go on at great length, but we'd be here all day

Unknown said...

Hahaha, wow thanks. I listen to some of those bands already but I'll try and check all these ones out.

JG said...

if you can't find stuff let me know. I was pretty heavily into tape trading in my teens so I was lucky enough to gete a lot of that stuff relatively soon after it came out,and still have a few bits and pieces.

The Putrifact 7", Demigod rehearsal tapes and Crematory demos are all immense.

Also, check out Funebrarum, who are pretty much amazing for being so like bands from this era. AND, they're ex-Citizen's Arrest!